Tuesday 18 August 2009

Animal Rescue

Whew! It's been a busy few days here at Mushroom Towers! A late night was had on Saturday, when we went out for a meal to celebrate Himself's birthday. I had an extremely tasty veggie dish at the restaurant; it was an okra (I wasn't entirely sure what this was at first, but wasn't put off when told it was long, green and slightly hairy!) masala and there were so many delicious, spicy flavours mingling, it was like an explosion in my mouth. I really should be a food critic, I think I would excel at that.
After the meal we went back to H's friends', where we played "Triv" (Trivial Pursuit, to those not in the know), and H and I won fair and square, unlike the other team who - gasp! horror! - CHEATED!!! They placed an extra piece of pie in their, er, pie holder, right in front of our eyes and we didn't realise until they confessed at the end. We were speechless with horror. Who could stoop that low, eh??
Most of Sunday was spent stressing about a stray dog that was wandering around outside the flats where I live. I phoned various animal "welfare" organisations and no one seemed willing to help as it was the weekend. I couldn't bear the thought of him (an old black lab) spending a night out in the open, but I couldn't take him in because of the cats. It fair brought a tear to my eye, I tell you!
Eventually, my animal-lover-extraordinaire friend A, and a neighbour stepped in and the dog (a real old sweetie) was given a home for the night. He is now, apparently, residing in the Dog and Cat Home in Edinburgh, awaiting claim. We are racking our brains to think of someone who might be able to give him a home, should his owner not appear. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know!
In between all this animal-related emotional trauma, Himself and I took a trip into Edinburgh's Royal Mile, to soak up some of the Festival Fringe atmos. I used to live in that historic thoroughfare so it was a real trip down memory lane, seeing all my childhood haunts again, sniff.
The High Street was mobbed with tourists and all the street performances were encircled by tall people. I should write an alternative guide to the festival, entitled "How to Enjoy the Festival Fringe From The Perspective of a Small Person Who Can Only See The Tops of People's Heads". There were some truly "alternative" acts going on, which Himself and I were obviously too uncultured to understand. But it was quite enjoyable being a part of it for a short while at least.
I have a day off today and I've been trying to create for my "Recycle and Reuse" class all morning. Nothing much to show for it yet, but it has inspired me to do my own bit of altering - a pencil holder from the Pound Shop - from this:

To this:




I could definately grow to love this altering lark!

2 comments:

Carol said...

I like this idea x

Debbie said...

Thank you, it was so easy to do as well, the plain tube was perfect for altering!