Monday 12 March 2012

Photography Tour Fun!


Last week I made use of a lovely Christmas present from Himself by booking onto an Edinburgh Photography Tour, which is run by a professional photographer called James Christie. I have long wished to learn how to become a better photographer, but I've always shied away from having my camera with me when I'm out and about because I'm embarrassed by it's bulk and also I don't really know how to use it properly. This is despite the fact that I already have a talented photographer close to hand in the shape of my Dad, who is always happy to share his advice and knowledge of the complexities of  DSLR image-making.  I just needed that one big push in the right direction to give me more confidence in my abilities and I think this was it.

The tour was a great experience, I met some very personable people and along the way learned a lot, including some snippets of historical interest about the landmarks we visited.  Even though I've lived in or around Edinburgh for 37 years, wandering about with my camera I truly felt as if I was seeing it for the first time!

I took too many pics to show here but my favourite part of the tour was when James allowed us free rein to take whatever abstract images we liked in the vicinity of the Scottish parliament buildings.  


These bike stands almost look a bit like a person bending over to pick something up when viewed head on!


I was trying to capture the detail of the bark here.



These are the "think pods" round the back of the building, I think I'd like to have this made into a print.

From now on I plan to have my camera with me a lot more so I can continue to learn!

Now because I haven't mentioned anything crafty, I'll show a card I've made for a friend's birthday:


It's quite busy but I like the colour combo!

No comments: